Register

uh oh...uncle perc's something less than weekly LOST spoilers thread

I think it's a sort of cheese.

Postby Whitelight » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:10 pm

I just had a dream that Sawyer was my former teacher, and I went back to visit him. At first he seemed busy with his class, so I was going to leave, but then he saw me and took a break from his class. He came out and said hello to me and was generally warm and friendly. We reminisced about old times. I then told him I was coming back to get some pencils I had left there, which seemed like a reasonable story. He went back to his class. I found the pencils plus an eraser, and I was going to leave. As he was teaching his class, I watched, and suddenly he turned to me and said "come on down," a la The Price Is Right. He then introduced me to the class and presented me with a check, which he said was from a student with a wealthy father who was very much interested in nuclear disarmament. I said thank you (in fact I couldn't express my gratitude enough), and the student, revealing himself, said "you're welcome." I looked at the check. I don't remember the amount, but it was large, and curiously, a smaller amount had been crossed out. I was overcome with guilt, because I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to use the money for nuclear disarmament, but I accepted it anyway. I then left and planned to drive away, but I realized my car was missing two of its wheels. One was lying on the floor (I'm in his garage now), and one was missing. I was able to recover the disconnected wheel, and I reconnected it to a chain on the car. (This is not at all how cars work.) I also realized at this point that I had an apartment that I wasn't using in a city about 45 minutes away, and that I may have forgotten to lock the door.

I assume these dreams will continue until our Lost discussion resumes.
Active
Windshield - 80 Prot Warrior
Whiteblight - 80 Death Knight
Crumbs - Auction Alt
Inactive
Spaceknight - 80 Holy/Ret Paladin
Starshards - 80 Frost/Fire Mage
Whitelight - 70 Holy/Shadow Priest
Thunderlocks - 70 Rogue

Postby NewMembar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:20 pm

And when you woke up there was a mess in your pants?
[ Inphinity 85 Priest ]

Postby Mal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:07 am

I wanted to respond, but I really have nothing further to add. You summarized my feelings on Jack pretty much perfectly. The story ended up being about him, which was what we were led to believe pretty much from the moment the show began. The way they wrapped him up should leave every fan of the show with no hurt feelings.

That's all I've got...everything I can say would be redundant. =P

Postby kistane » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:11 pm

To help Windshield sleep well at night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DShnvNNv0

discuss.
+2802 <3

Postby kistane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 pm

+2802 <3

Postby Evil Robot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:39 pm

LaPidus!
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation." - Mahatma Gandhi

Postby Ramthorn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Holy.

Shit.

Awesome.
I can no longer recall the day I realized my life was not perfect, my family was not unblemished, and that everything was not going to be alright.

-anonymous

The best explanation before a Boss fight I've ever heard, courtesy of Chrislet:

WoW's hard. Don't stand in the fire. Go.

Postby NewMembar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:55 am

aahahahahaha.... awesome.
[ Inphinity 85 Priest ]

Postby kistane » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:21 pm

GD it... I went back to watch it again and "Starz Media" ripped it off Youtube ;_;
+2802 <3

Postby Whitelight » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Some more random thoughts about Lost...

I watched the finale again last night (second time), and I was surprised by the power it still had. In fact, I think I cried like a baby even more on this second viewing. It was crazy. Keep in mind, I only spent about 5 months with the show from start to finish. I can just imagine how powerful it might have been for people who had spent 6 years with these characters.

In fact, I keep wondering what the differences are between the 5 month and 6 year experiences. My big disadvantage was that I didn't have much time to get attached to the show, to keep each episode in the back of my mind for a week, and to let it sink in gradually, and to get attached to all the characters. I don't think that was a significant disadvantage, though, because I still got attached to the characters, and everything seemed to sink in just fine. I think I agree with Ram that Lost is well-suited for compression.

I'm guessing about some of this, but I think these were my advantages:

• Didn't get overly annoyed by the cliffhangers, because the next episode was always within reach. Had I been faced with huge mandatory gaps of time, I can see myself caring less and less, sort of as a defense mechanism.
  • Could remember what happened 4 episodes or 2 seasons ago and easily make connections. There was never a point during the series when I was really confused.
  • Never had commercial breaks.
  • Didn't have time to develop or attach to complex crackpot theories that would probably end up being false.

I'd be curious to see what other people think about this. I know Ram actually had both experiences. He saw several seasons on DVD and watched several other seasons as they aired.

By the way, Wen and Flik started watching Lost about a month ago, and they're at the beginning of Season 3, with Jack/Kate/Sawyer captured. Wen is really, really frustrated. I remember how frustrated I was with this part of the series too, just because they really drag it out and it's very intense, but I look back on it as one of the greatest periods of Lost. Few other storylines were so compelling and involving. You're frustrated because of how closely you're identifying with the captured characters. This is also the most taunting phase of "the mystery." It also leads to the incredible catharsis of "Through the Looking Glass" at the end of the season, which remains one of my favorite episodes. Anyway, I tried to explain (in a non-spoiler way) that it's all for the best, and that it's developing characters (i.e. Ben and Juliet, don't tell!). But she's still frustrated.

I'm also thinking about a question that Ram asked me when I was nearing the end of Season 2: Who is your favorite character? At the time, I said Locke, no question. Ram was leaning toward Sawyer. Obviously things have changed. So here's my current list:

1. Jack. The obvious choice, as MiB might say, but he holds up. I described before how perfectly planned and executed his whole character arc is. Phase 1: Reluctant leader and chronic skeptic ("man of science") with a short temper, hero complex, and daddy issues manifested as intense episodes of self-doubt. This character is so good to begin with that he doesn't even need an arc. Phase 2: Complete wreck off-island, full of regret, tortured about how wrong he was, guilty about Locke's death, realizes his gung-ho rescue antics had not saved his friends, that in fact he had violated and reversed destiny. Phase 3: Wanting to turn things around, but not sure how (he knows he can't simply "fix" things), Jack lies low with some seriously extensive brooding and introspection in Dharmaville. Phase 4: After five seasons of psychological torment, he has worked out his issues and believes in destiny. Guided by Jacob's gentle prodding and Locke's ideals, Jack realizes his entire metaphysical potential, saving the island in a pure act of self-sacrifice and faith. His story then concludes with the happiest, most fulfilling death one could possibly imagine.

2. Ben. I can't gush about Ben's character as much as Jack's, except to say that his transformation was just as dramatic and just as carefully considered. The best stretches for Ben's character, I think, were the times when we didn't know whether he was good or evil, whether he was lying or telling the truth, whether to root for him or Widmore, whether he was helping our Lost friends or was about to stab them in the back. The mystery and tension of his character pretty much extended to the end of the series, with a surprisingly plausible redemption. Strong candidate for best character IMO.

3. Locke. Truly a great character, and as I said, my early favorite. Reasons are obvious. The whole handicap bit ("Don't tell me what I can't do!") was always interesting, but the tension between his knowledge and his ignorance about the island (and how that affected his sense of self-worth) was probably the best part. As a Lost viewer, I think it was easiest to identify with Locke (not Hurley, as many suggest) because of that dynamic, and because of his unstoppable curiosity. The only problem with Locke is that he peaked early, and obviously his character was significantly blemished and obfuscated with MiB taking over his body.

By the way, I think Matthew Fox's acting is under-appreciated and probably had something to do with the success of his character. I also think it got much better toward the end of the series. Seriously, some of his moments in the finale in particular are so supernaturally perfect that I think my jaw dropped when I saw them. Thinking especially of the whole sequence after he brings back the light. Also the scene where he confronts MiB in the field (the "I'm going to kill you"/"It's a surprise" moment). Truly stunning stuff there.
Active
Windshield - 80 Prot Warrior
Whiteblight - 80 Death Knight
Crumbs - Auction Alt
Inactive
Spaceknight - 80 Holy/Ret Paladin
Starshards - 80 Frost/Fire Mage
Whitelight - 70 Holy/Shadow Priest
Thunderlocks - 70 Rogue

PreviousNext

Return to What is a The Pretend Heroes?