Register

uh oh...uncle perc's something less than weekly LOST spoilers thread

I think it's a sort of cheese.

Postby Perc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 pm

the theories are probable the biggest difference between the 6 year vs 5 month experiences.

also keep in mind, that the LOST producers put out a TON of viral marketing shit. every year had new DHARMA or Hanso websites, there's a book, "bad twin" that came out after season 2 i think...early on they were building a huge mythology...that they ended up scrapping. the folks who are disappointed with the finale are generally down because of all the stuff that was built up but never followed up on (much of it discussed throughout this thread)

Postby beoireann » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:18 am

Funny part about your post is the talk about plan and execution of Jack. When he was suppose to dye and Kate was suppose to be the leader. They changed because people liked Jack.

Or so I'm lead to believe this is true.

Also I like Faraday, Desmond, Sayid, Jin, Frank the tank, and of course Jack.

Kate is a bitch.
Beoireann
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Postby Perc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:15 am

beoireann wrote:Funny part about your post is the talk about plan and execution of Jack. When he was suppose to dye and Kate was suppose to be the leader. They changed because people liked Jack.

the official story is that they spent the first episode building him up as the leader, and they were going to kill him at the end of the first episode. (we all know by now their penchant for sudden deaths for important characters)

ABC balked and said "you can't spend all that time establishing him as a leader and then get rid of him, you'll lose the audience"

but yeah, they planned to off him in the pilot.

also, ben was supposed to be a throw away guest star. but he was very popular so they built up his part.

Postby Whitelight » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:19 am

beoireann wrote:Funny part about your post is the talk about plan and execution of Jack. When he was suppose to dye and Kate was suppose to be the leader. They changed because people liked Jack.

From what I understand, J. J. Abrams especially wanted to kill off Jack in the pilot, after it seemed like he was going to be the leader, just so they could show that anything can happen. That's actually a great idea, but I think it worked better overall to reveal the crazy stuff slowly. The creators were persuaded by ABC and others to stick with Jack. I don't think they filmed an alternate pilot or anything. It's something they all agreed on (including the creators) before the series started production.

They may not have planned Jack's arc in the very early pre-production stages, but it was obviously a planned arc, especially Season 4 onward via flash forwards, when it really takes off.

BTW, the initial idea was to make Kate the leader after Jack died, so given the end of your post, I think you should be grateful. :)

E: Perc ninja posted!
Active
Windshield - 80 Prot Warrior
Whiteblight - 80 Death Knight
Crumbs - Auction Alt
Inactive
Spaceknight - 80 Holy/Ret Paladin
Starshards - 80 Frost/Fire Mage
Whitelight - 70 Holy/Shadow Priest
Thunderlocks - 70 Rogue

Postby Whitelight » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:22 am

Perc wrote:ABC balked and said "you can't spend all that time establishing him as a leader and then get rid of him, you'll lose the audience"

Was it that simple? I thought I read in an interview that the creators themselves warmed up to the idea, and that ABC was more persuading them rather than forcing them.

Either way, going with Jack was the right decision IMO.

They were also going to propel Eco into one of the top spots, but he left the show. Stuff happens.
Active
Crumbs - Auction Alt
Inactive
Thunderlocks - 70 Rogue

Postby Perc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:30 am

Whitelight wrote:Was it that simple? I thought I read in an interview that the creators themselves warmed up to the idea, and that ABC was more persuading them rather than forcing them.

Either way, going with Jack was the right decision IMO.

They were also going to propel Eco into one of the top spots, but he left the show. Stuff happens.

yeah the mr eko thing was sad. they had like a multi year story planned for him, but he refused to move to hawaii.

Postby Perc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby Whitelight » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:06 pm

That one person who was supposedly on the Lost writer's staff said that Dharma was sort of created by Jacob to help find a way to destroy MiB, but MiB ended up corrupting them (along with Ben). I wonder if this will prove/disprove any of that. Can't wait!
Active
Crumbs - Auction Alt
Inactive
Thunderlocks - 70 Rogue

Postby Perc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Whitelight wrote:That one person who was supposedly on the Lost writer's staff said that Dharma was sort of created by Jacob to help find a way to destroy MiB, but MiB ended up corrupting them (along with Ben). I wonder if this will prove/disprove any of that. Can't wait!

if that's true, that would be a clean way to wrap up a lot of the dangling plot lines...

dharma was founded by alvar hanso, decendant of magnus hanso, captain of the black rock
dharma's use of the valenzetti equation and the connection between the equation, the electromagnetic energy that turned MIB into smokey, why it didn't do something similar to desmond (maybe that's the real reason for the innoculations?) and the connection between the numbers and the candidates

one thing that did disappoint me about the finale was that it rendered dharma rather irrelevant to the overall story. this could bring back to the fore what should have been a pretty important element

Postby Whitelight » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:43 pm

Perc wrote:one thing that did disappoint me about the finale was that it rendered dharma rather irrelevant to the overall story. this could bring back to the fore what should have been a pretty important element

I can understand that. I know I've preached about the characters, but Dharma is a massive part of the whole series, and right now it does seem like a side story (i.e. Dharma was just another group of people who had to be cleansed off the island).

Given what you said about the mythology being built up externally over the years, I can also understand some of the frustration over that (though I didn't really have to experience it myself).

There was a sequence of demystifications over the course of the whole series, actually. The hatch, the Others, Dharma, Richard, and Widmore. Maybe this is strange, but I was really disappointed by the demystification of Richard. I was led to believe that he was this mystical authority figure who probably had most of the answers, but of course he turned out to be one of the most ignorant people on the island. That kind of hurt. I'm sure it was intentional, and obviously it was effective (pulled out the rug etc.), but I definitely had different expectations for Richard.
Active
Crumbs - Auction Alt
Inactive
Thunderlocks - 70 Rogue

PreviousNext

Return to What is a The Pretend Heroes?