Register

Inception

I think it's a sort of cheese.

Postby Perc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:44 pm

prestige
[spoiler]that was NOT a shiny happy ending. Borden is reunited with his daughter yes, but he has to spend the rest of his life in prison for murder (or is he marked for execution? i forget). which is my point about inception. to draw a parallel, both Borden and Cobb find a modicum of peace and happiness, but neither of them truly has a happy ending.[/spoiler]

inception
[spoiler]all signs point to it having been some time since he was exiled from the U.S. we don't know how long, but it was enough time for him to build a reputation for what he did. when he was reunited with his kids, they were the same age as in his dream.[/spoiler]

inception 2
[spoiler]a neat theory i read, i don't believe this one but it is possible, is that nothing in the movie is reality. that michael caine's character has leo under the entire time and the entire movie is an elaborate inception by michael caine to bring peace to leo in his limbo[/spoiler]

Postby beoireann » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Man i came up with all kinds of ways to torment Mal more this morning. But I believe the truth is the worst thing I can say.

I saw it this morning and its not even in my top 5 of the summer.
Beoireann
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Postby Mal » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:53 pm

The Prestige: [spoiler]Um...what? Did we see the same movie? Fallon, his twin brother, is hanged at the end of the movie. Borden escapes, kills Angier, and is reunited with his daughter with the help of Cutter. I'd call killing my rival and getting back my daughter a pretty happy ending. ;) [/spoiler]

Inception: [spoiler]Ah, that does make sense. Troy offered up the same idea, that maybe what we thought was reality actually wasn't. The tricky part about that, though, is Cobb's totem.[/spoiler]

Postby Perc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:03 pm

prestige:
[spoiler]it's been a while since i watched it, but i thought it was the reverse with the twins, with his daughter ending up being raised by fallon and borden being hanged. maybe i need to watch it again. either way, hard for me to call an ending where a family member is hanged "happy" ;)

when i say "shiny happy ending" i mean like a walt disney ending, which if we take the end of inception at face value is what it was, everyone lives happily ever after. that's not nolan's style.[/spoiler]

Postby Aenys » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:53 am

Wow, both myself and my girlfriend thought this movie was amazing.

[spoiler]
I agree with Perc, in that the fact that both kids were the same age than in his memories seems to point to the ending as a dream, rather than reality
[/spoiler]

Postby Mal » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:35 am

[spoiler]There is an apparent connection between the two worlds and his wedding ring, something that further enforces the idea that he made it back to the real world.[/spoiler]

Postby Ramthorn » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 pm

EFF YOUR SPOILER TABS!

I'm seeing this in IMAX today.

That, or die trying.
I can no longer recall the day I realized my life was not perfect, my family was not unblemished, and that everything was not going to be alright.

-anonymous

The best explanation before a Boss fight I've ever heard, courtesy of Chrislet:

WoW's hard. Don't stand in the fire. Go.

Postby Mal » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Barring a glitch we had with the sound for the first 30 minutes (sound was about a half second too early), the IMAX was spectacular. Sound and visuals were so much more crisp than the small screen I saw on Tuesday.

Postby beoireann » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:05 pm

I think perc is right and these are the three reasons I told him so after thinking about it a bit:

[SPOILER]1. The kids age 2. I think it is ellen and joseph because only ellen has seen that scene, cain has not. 3. ellen has touched the top totem and can thus replicate it

Just in case Mal reads this, hrm, karate kid was better[/SPOILER]
Beoireann
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Postby ndogggg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Long Inception spoiler (also some A Beautiful Mind and some Memento, but I don't think they're spoilers without context)

[spoiler]The question I need answered is: who's the dreamer in the original limbo with Cobb and Mal? At the end she seeds the notion that the 'nameless corporations/authorities' following him around the world mimic the behavior of a subconscious mind expelling intruders, but for that to be true it can't be *his* dream.

There has to be some significance to the fact that the entire idea of totems came from Mal, and further that the top was Mal's, and further that the top was what she locked away in the safe. The last bit implies that she herself locked away the idea of a reality 'above' the one she was in, so why would the notion of yet another reality above that one persist when she awoke? I know that that's the whole Inception that he pulled off--too well--but as I pointed out, it can't be his dream if the corporation/authorities are someone else's subconscious defenses. The only other person it could be is Mal's, which means hers was the original limbo dream, but she jumped and so the dream should have ended anyway, whether or not Cobb believed he needed to wake up one step further. Right?

Also, there's a discrepancy that implies that Cobb has been into the limbo twice before: we see him and Mal holding hands as an old couple, but in the train-rails-suicidal-awakening, they are the same age as when they entered. That seems to imply leaving limbo twice, which means having been in it twice (reminded me of the memory-doubling from Memento with the wife who is diabetic)

The kid's ages I thought were the giveaway at first (like the madness in A Beautiful Mind), but then it occurred to me that there are almost no duration clues given in the movie; we *assume* time passes for the plan to come together, and there's the mention of a few weeks' until another L.A. flight, but then the father dies and that steps up that time-table, too. For all we know the failed first extraction we see in the opening minutes was right after he took the escape flight his lawyer set him up with. The kids could be just 6 months older without it disrupting the timetable.

Finally, 'Mal' is an unusual name, right? Too unusual I think, and the fact that it's Latin for 'bad' -- as in, bad dream -- has to mean something. Is it possible the entire film is supposed to be allegorical?

[/spoiler]
Sense & Nonsense

PreviousNext

Return to What is a The Pretend Heroes?