Register

Inception

I think it's a sort of cheese.

Postby ndogggg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:43 am

Inception

[spoiler] I think I answered my own question about the memory-doubling; I remembered Cobb mentioned experimenting with dreams within dreams when they stumbled into limbo; could the train-tracks part simply have been them waking from a 'higher' dream than the limbo state? Maybe they had to rise up through several layers of dreams, and did it in succession, and only in the limbo state were they old? Thus furthering leaving Mal with the notion that they still had more to go?

Also, I will grant that Mal invading all the dreams--even when Cobb isn't dreamer or architect--supports the notion that the whole thing is part of Cobb's limbo state, with Mal being a manifestation of his growing madness. This might even suggest that neither she, nor the kids, nor anything else about Cobb's remembered life are real, and she is simply the 'bad dream' in truth.

My brother's theory is that the whole idea was to plant an inception in Cobb's mind to get rid of Mal, and that the young business guy was in on it; so he really is 'awake' at the end, but the inception of the plot was not the business guy's manipulation but Cobb's, so that he can have peace again. I.e., there was nothing preventing him from his kids except his own madness as a result of his time in the limbo. There is no phone call to clear things up, just a faked call to convince Cobb that he's in the clear, and he's finally able to believe it because of the seemingly impossible odds they overcame. Hence why Ariadne is a new player who's very pushy about him confronting Mal. It's possible that 'Mal' never existed and is truly the 'bad dream' that prevents him from his own kids/life by always trying to draw him deeper, keep him in the dream; his real wife etc are unknown to him while he's in the madness inflected by his time in limbo. Such a 'setup' could also neatly explain why Cobb hasn't grown old in the the limbo state at beginning/end--they're not really in a limbo, and the older Saito is a projection of Cobb's memory, putting him back in the exact same room as the original inception (that was always meant to fail as a way to put Cobb into Saito's 'debt' to kick off all the rest of plan to follow).

I kind of like that spin on it because it allows for the inception to be about Cobb and for Mal to be real/not real, without the whole thing having been a dream world the whole time, because that's always a little lame. [/spoiler]
Sense & Nonsense

Postby Ramthorn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

I'm finallly seeing this today at 1pm in the IMAX, I swear it.

I'm looking forward to actually opening all these tempting spoiler tabs!
I can no longer recall the day I realized my life was not perfect, my family was not unblemished, and that everything was not going to be alright.

-anonymous

The best explanation before a Boss fight I've ever heard, courtesy of Chrislet:

WoW's hard. Don't stand in the fire. Go.

Postby ndogggg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:21 pm

More to my second Inception theory (my brother's thoughts in second post)

[spoiler]
To further reinforce Ariadne (Ellen Page) as someone specifically meant to lead Cobb out of his madness, her name, Ariadne, is the person in Greek mythology who helped Theseus find his way out of the Minotaur's labyrinth by giving him a ball of thread. That suggests an obvious parallel, that she has joined Cobb's team specifically to lead him out.

Whether this is because the whole thing is in a dream-state and she joins a dream-in-progress (which was demonstrated to be possible when she invaded Cobb's memory dreams where he was 'keeping' Mal) or whether she joins 'his' team in real life with the secondary motive of leading him out of his limbo madness, it seems clear that such an unusual name with only one dominant interpretation must be meant to single her out as someone whose job is to lead someone out of a labyrinth.

And remember, the very first thing she is asked to do is draw a maze.[/spoiler]
Sense & Nonsense

Postby Ramthorn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:41 am

Finally saw this in IMAX today. If anyone hasn't seen it yet, I couldn't imagine watching this movie any other way.

Definitely the best movie I've seen all year, total mindfuck, in the best way possible.

[spoiler] I already knew about the reference to Ariadne (gogo classical greek studies) but I didn't know the meaning of Mal's name, so thanks for that.

I'm still in shock over this movie, I can't really process any thoughts right now. I'm loving the different theories you all have presented, and hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to reflect on everything I saw and perhaps contribute to the discussion. Right now I'm simply trying to absorb the 2.5 hours of awesomeness that Chris Nolan just fucked my mind with. [/spoiler]
I can no longer recall the day I realized my life was not perfect, my family was not unblemished, and that everything was not going to be alright.

-anonymous

Postby beoireann » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:39 am

I told the people at work to see Sorc's apprentice instead.
Beoireann
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Postby Ramthorn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:49 pm

Somewhere, an angel fell down dead.

-anonymous

Postby Mal » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:54 pm

It doesn't bug me Ram, because I know he's either trolling or a complete idiot. :D

Postby beoireann » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:17 pm

Have either of you seen Sorc's Apprentice or are you just assuming its bad?

I at least have seen both movies.
Beoireann
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Postby Ramthorn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:53 am

I haven't seen it, no, but my dad has.

He wasn't impressed, and we've always had the same taste in movies. He, too, loved Inception (bastard saw it before it was even released in America).

I didn't expect much from Sorc's Apprentice, especially considering the fact that Cage is apparently broke and willing to work on anything that pays.

-anonymous

Postby beoireann » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:03 am

I'd say Inception is the better movie but sorc's apprentice is more fun to watch.

If that makes sense.
Beoireann
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PreviousNext

Return to What is a The Pretend Heroes?