Register

Hacked!

I think it's a sort of cheese.

Hacked!

Postby Radegunde » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm remaining amazingly calm. Very, very amazingly calm. Not only was the beautiful Radegunde deleted/moved to another server, the fucker who took her even raided what they could from the guild bank!

My other 80, Aelfryth, was left in her tabard. All that's left is a handful of silver and some low level enchanting stuff.

Blizzard said that my issue has been "escalated," but "escalated" means "in about a week," so I will be using the next several days to develop the most amazing RAGE. So, if you find me online wigging out over triffles and cursing in languages I don't even know...it's not personal.

Postby Whitelight » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Gah, that's horrible...

For what it's worth, Wen was hacked a little while ago and they raided our guild bank, but we did get everything back.
Active
Windshield - 80 Prot Warrior
Whiteblight - 80 Death Knight
Crumbs - Auction Alt
Inactive
Spaceknight - 80 Holy/Ret Paladin
Starshards - 80 Frost/Fire Mage
Whitelight - 70 Holy/Shadow Priest
Thunderlocks - 70 Rogue

Postby Mal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Can you pinpoint the cause? Did you have addons download or an easy password or hit what we in the business call a "malicious website"?

Postby Ramthorn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Mal wrote: what we in the business

Pron?
I can no longer recall the day I realized my life was not perfect, my family was not unblemished, and that everything was not going to be alright.

-anonymous

The best explanation before a Boss fight I've ever heard, courtesy of Chrislet:

WoW's hard. Don't stand in the fire. Go.

Postby Mal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:51 pm

It's just a thing I say. It makes me sound more amazing and important than I already am.

Postby leahan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:05 pm

Mal wrote:It's just a thing I say. It makes me sound more amazing and important than I actually am.

Fixt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wenaeleyn wrote:...I thought the consensus at the time was that...I'm just crazy.

Ramthorn wrote:I can go both ways, myself.

Postby kistane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:43 pm

OMGOOSE Radegunde :(

Were you on Tuesday when you asked for a bunch of stuff out of the guild vault? I really hope that was you, it seemed logical on what you were asking :(

I'm pretty sure you'll get your stuff back, but make sure you get an authenticator. A lot of hackers now a days are just password rolling older accounts that don't have authenticators attached to them.

One more reason why we should all NOT buy gold. Incoming Sense with a public service announcement!
+2802 <3

Postby Radegunde » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:27 am

Yeah, that was me--can't see why a hacker would be so obsessed with iceweb spider silk!! :)

And you better believe that Swank ordered authenticators today!! Unfortunately, it might take "fifteen business days." (Why can't they just say 2-3 weeks??). The upside is that I'll get one of those cutie corehound pups, so it's not all bad...

Swank and I have been discussing the whys and hows of the hack, but I don't see it--since I don't know how to hack, it's obviously very difficult for me to pinpoint the cause. How do these people know my log-in? Was my password easily guessable? I dunno; maybe. But don't these fuckers have programs that can crunch letter/number combinations until a password is found?

And how did they know my name? The fuckers needed my name to change my password and keep me locked out of the account. And my name is NOT easily guessed (both first and last are astonishingly uncommon and difficult to spell to boot.) So, that kinda creeps me out...

I ran malware and the ESET NOD32 antivirus programs, and they've found nothing. I'm currently running Adware to see if that finds anything. If that doesn't locate the problem...wipe the computer? That's always a good time!

*Sigh* In the meantime, I guess I'll play my lower level chars...

Postby NewMembar » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:30 am

It was probably a background flash ad running in the background that captures the password while you login.
I am very happy with my authenticator... 0% chance of hack now.

If you use your same login name as other forums, I am sure the hackers probably wrote "scrapers" that gather lists of names for possible addresses to brute force.

Also: have you ever played WoW or logged into the Armory at an internet cafe? Say goodbye to your password...
[ Inphinity 85 Priest ]

Return to What is a The Pretend Heroes?