Register

Kissy's food thread of awesome-sauce... ness.

I think it's a sort of cheese.

Kissy's food thread of awesome-sauce... ness.

Postby kistane » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:13 pm

First up, Pad Thai.

This is the Pad Thai I learned to make from my class at Academie Culinaire.

8 oz of FLAT rice noodles (half of a package, generally)

3 tbsp of oil (usually A LOT more than this... keep some on hand)

3 tbsp of DRIED shrimp (believe it or not this would be in the refrigerated section of an Asian grocery store) rehydrated in water for about 5 minutes CHOPPED FINELY

3 cloves of minced garlic (I use the stuff already minced, it works fine)

1-2 Thai peppers, chopped finely (This is for a spicy element; 1 is not too spicy, where two can be overpowering. DON'T GO WITH SMALLER PEPPERS IF YOU WANT IT TO BE LESS SPICY BECAUSE THEY'LL PACK MORE OF A PUNCH. Removing the seeds actually will make these less spicy)

3-4 shallots, chopped

1/2 cup of fried tofu (you can buy harder tofu and fry it or just cube it and throw it in. If you want the fried bean curd though, it's in the refrigerated section of an Asian grocery store)

1 tbsp of dried and salted turnip (also an Asian grocery store specialty, these are found in the dried food section in plastic bags. They can be red OR yellowish) THEY MUST BE FINELY CHOPPED; I put mine in my magic bullet and make them about the size of sand)

1 egg, beaten (remember, if an egg floats in water, it's rotten. If it sinks, it's good. Check your eggs before using them. ALWAYS.)

3 tbsp of Thai fish sauce, also known as nam pla (more or less for that salty taste. I like using the Squid brand... doesn't really matter though)

3 tbsp of sugar

1/2 tbsp of tamarind juice (this is tricky. Buy a packaged tamarind in the dry food/chili aisle of an Asian grocery store. Unwrap the tamarind, put it in a small sauce pan and put water in up to the top of the tamarind. Now bring to a boil and let cool. Freeze/refrigerate the remaining for later on.)

1/4 cup of scallions/green onions chopped(I hardly ever put this in for some reason, I always forget.)

1 cup of bean sprouts

3 tbsp of crushed peanuts (your food processor is your friend. Or crush these with the bottom of a bowl. That works too!)

a good spritz of lime juice, to taste

Cilantro leaves or Thai basil leaves, to taste (the Thai basil leaves are SOOO much better. But fresh cilantro works as well)

WARNING: YOU MUST HAVE A WOK AND TONGS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE TONGS YOUR NOODLES WILL PROBABLY END UP GETTING CUT BY WHATEVER YOU USE. THE WOK= NO MAJOR OIL FIRE THAT BURNS DOWN YOUR HOUSE.

Prep:

1.) Soak noodles in cold water for about 30 minutes or until tender. I usually use luke warm water. Drain and set aside.

2.) Heat wok until water droplets boil upon impact (medium heat on an electric stove). Add oil.

3.) Add chopped up shrimp, garlic, Thai peppers, and scallions. Sauté for about 10-15 seconds stirring the whole time

4.) Add tofu and turnip and keep mixing well.

5.) Add beaten egg and let it sit for about 10 seconds to let it set up. Then, coarsely break it up and keep mixing everything.

6.) Add noodles and with tongs, keep moving them and the other ingredients until the noodles are translucent. Now, the trick here is that the noodles are going to ball up like badly cooked pasta and THAT'S OKAY. They'll relax after the next step into something workable.

7.) Add fish sauce, sugar, tamarind juice, sauté and mix well.

8.) Cook until noodles absorb all the liquid. Eat a noodle to check the seasoning; if it's good, remove from heat.

9.) Garnish with lime juice and throw the cilantro/thai basil in and mix.

10.) NOM NOM NOM YOU JUST MADE AWESOME PAD THAI.

This is also on my facebook page, in a note.
+2802 <3

Postby Sumaria » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Wow, that sounds extremely yummy!
[color="Magenta"]Xerie and Avrielle of Aion[/color]
[color="SeaGreen"]Kylira and Kitrelle of WAR[/color]
[color="Blue"]Sumaria, Kylissa, Kitrelle, Phyra and many more of DAOC[/color]
[color="Purple"]Kitrielle and Phyra of WOW[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"]Currently playing....nothing.[/color]

Postby Wenaeleyn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:40 pm

I saw this on your Facebook note and I was going to ask if you were taking some kind of classes! Flik and I are going to have to try this...we love Pad Thai, but we've usually used the premixed sauce and added our own veggies and fresh basil and peanuts.

We use a marble mortar and pestle to smash up the peanuts...it's a good way to work out frustration! :P

Great job on the instructions...very easy to understand too.
Y___Y
{ o,O } I will polish your flesh with moon anger!
(\___/) Hoot!
(''') (''')

Postby kistane » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Remember, a magic bullet or a food processor can work just as well as a mortar and pestle!

Also, a note on the mortar and pestle... as long as it's marble, it's great! Do NOT use the mexico lava stone ones, though... they tend have slough off that will end up in anything you are crushing. The ones made in Thailand are generally of good quality, but the rule of thumb is marble= good, anything else= not as good.
+2802 <3

Postby Wenaeleyn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Yeah that's why we bought the marble one.

We have a magic bullet too that we use for some stuff. Sometimes though...it's actually TOO powerful and just turns stuff to mush. We tried chopping some nuts in it once and it was like powder. Oops! :p

But that's why we need multiple tools for all these things!
Y___Y
{ o,O } I will polish your flesh with moon anger!
(\___/) Hoot!
(''') (''')

Postby kistane » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 am

LOL that's so true about the Magic Bullet. I don't think I've ever had a moment where things have been "finely" chopped or whatnot. It is either a paste or a powder, like you have said!
+2802 <3

Return to What is a The Pretend Heroes?